[gnugo-devel] influence and territory values

From: David G Doshay
Subject: [gnugo-devel] influence and territory values
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 17:30:22 -0700

I was looking over games from this weekend's KGS tournament and found something I did not expect.

The opponent's first move was F6, a 4-4 point on a 9x9 board.

In looking at the SlugGo global lookahead options, I see the expected behavior in 2 sequences that are rotations of each other, and the same influence and territory values are calculated. However two other options result in exactly the same board, but give different influence and territory values:

Following from F6, option I is us G4, them C6, us D3, and option L is us D3, them C6, us G4.

For option I: InfW=-7.00, TerrW=-3.00, InfB=-29.00, TerrB=-3.00
For option L: InfW=-11.00, TerrW=-3.00, InfB=-31.00, TerrB=-3.00

Why would the same board evaluate differently?

Cheers,
David