Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: gnugo-devel Digest, Vol 42, Issue 22

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: gnugo-devel Digest, Vol 42, Issue 22
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 23:19:00 +0200

John wrote:
> Yesterday GnuGo played 1-1 versus Indigo, winning the
> first game comfortablz, but narrowly losing the 2nd by 7.5
> thanks to the usual blundering.

It seems like Indigo often is problematic for GNU Go.

> It next twice defeated 9x9 winner
> CrazyStone but only after allowing gnugo to void a game in which
> gnugo at lvl 15 took seemingly forever on a single move.

Yeah, high levels tend to be unpredictable. Do you still have the
position available?

> Today, it faced the only undefeated program, Go Intellect.
>
> It won the first game convincingly, and the second, much less convincingly,
> as well!
> This tied both programs for first place, so a playoff ensued.

Good catching up!

> The coinflip gave GnuGo black, and once again GnuGo proved
> victorious, although this game was a total atrocity of blunders. It
> seems each program tried to outdo the other in playing
> incomprehensibly bad moves.

It's funny how this happens all the time. S11 was a really lousy move
and T5 was at the very least unorthodox.

> But, it's the end result that counts, and we can congratulate all GnuGo
> developers on this golden medal!

Nice to be back on top, although this wasn't the strongest field the
Olympiad has seen.

> Btw, Gunnar: there were complaints of GnuGo's registration fee
> not having been received (paypal problems?), so please check that.

I pass the ball to Arend.

> I will not be present at the prize giving ceremony tomorrow.
> Please let me know to whom the medal should be sent.

I wouldn't mind getting it. They should have my address from the
subscription forms.

> Please find all sgf records attached.
>
> It was lots of fun being a part of the computer olympiad,
> and I hope to one day be there with my own program:)

Thanks for taking on this.

/Gunnar