[gnugo-devel] Proposal for helping in development of gnugo (need advice)

From: Denis Blumstein
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Proposal for helping in development of gnugo (need advice)
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 08:13:29 +0200

Dear go developpers,

First of all, thank you for the work you do for providing gnugo.

Looking at the task list, I plan to develop a regression test file for tesuji.
Being a weak player, I would use the book "Tesuji" by James Davis.

I would like to get some advices on this before to invest too much time on this activity. 1. Are there problems of copyright that should prevent the use of such a file by the gnugo project ? 2. I have already began to build this file checking the results of the GTP commands 'attack' and 'owl_attack'. Is it the right way ?

Moreover, I have a third question. In case a problem is detected, what is the right method to use to solve it ?
- add some patterns in 'attack.db' (and defend)
- change some code in reading.c
- add some patterns in 'owl_attack.db' (and defend)

Thank you for your answers.

On a longer time frame I would be willing to try to add some tree pruning in the tactical reading code.

Kind regards,
Denis Blumstein