Re: [gnugo-devel] attack_either ...

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] attack_either ...
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:23:15 +0100

Alain wrote:
> Q1/ So, i wonder it "attack_either" and "defend_both" should not be moved into
> patterns/helpers.c as they are used only for pattern matching.
> Thus it would be more clear why not many things can be done, as not all data
> are available yet. Or maybe add comment explaining this?

This is not a question of data not being available yet but of
attack_either and defend_both being tactical reading functions which are
expected to work at arbitrary places in a search tree. I don't see any
value in moving them to patterns/helpers.c, that's rather a last resort
for functions having no meaning or natural place outside the pattern
matching.

> Q2/ i m a bit lost: attack_either is needed in some pattern match
> so by shapes, but also before, by make_dragons ?
> It seems that make worms provides attack points and threats, so i
> wonder if attack_either could use find_double_threats for
> better results ?

No, tactical reading functions can't use worm data because that's only
available at the root position.

/Gunnar