Re: [gnugo-devel] GPL violation?

From: Darren Cook
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] GPL violation?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 07:45:26 +0900

>> Are you aware that Soupdog Software is selling a go program for the iPhone
>> using the gnugo engine?
>>
>> http://www.soupdogsoftware.com/igo/discuss/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10
>>
>> I find no mention in the app or his site that his source code is available
>> for download.
>
> Thanks, David
>
> I did report one such iphone program to the FSF. I don't
> remember the name SoupDog so it may or may not have
> been the same one. However I don't think they did
> anything.

Just contacting the author and pointing that it is fine for him to sell
his application but that he has to make his source code available for
download somewhere if gnugo is compiled in as part of a single exe may
be enough. Some people simply don't realize, and others may realize but
just haven't got around to it. (And it can also start a dialog where the
alternatives such as two exes communicating using pipes and GTP can be
introduced.)

Darren

http://dcook.org/mlsn/ (English-Japanese-German-Chinese-Arabic
                        open source dictionary/semantic network)