Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: GnuGo License compatibility with the iPhone and iP

From: Jorge Timón
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] Re: GnuGo License compatibility with the iPhone and iPad?
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 16:46:33 +0100

you can download the program at http://www.robota.nl/download/iphone-go-1.6.zip

Here's its content:

~/Desktop/iphone-go-1.6$ ls -R
.:
iGo.app  iGoSGF  readme.txt

./iGo.app:
alert.png  Default.png  gnugo  icon.png  iGo  Info.plist  skin

./iGo.app/skin:
boards    next_pressed.png  prev_pressed.png  stones
undo_pressed.png  zoomin_pressed.png  zoomout_pressed.png
next.png  prev.png          sounds            undo.png  zoomin.png
   zoomout.png

./iGo.app/skin/boards:
basic.png  stone.png  wood.png  yellow.png

./iGo.app/skin/sounds:
illegal.wav  piecehit.wav  piecemove.wav  pieceselect.wav

./iGo.app/skin/stones:
black16.png  black32.png  marker16.png  marker32.png  white16.png  white32.png
black24.png  black42.png  marker24.png  marker42.png  white24.png  white42.png

./iGoSGF:
143-14.sgf  143a.sgf  143b.sgf  143c.sgf  143d.sgf  143e.sgf
Hon-41-1.sgf  Sysop-DeMusis.sgf  wsfbr-Shind0u.sgf

the readme says:

~/Desktop/iphone-go-1.6$ cat readme.txt
                             iGo 1.4 - http://www.robota.nl

Place the iGoSGF folder in /var/root/Media.

                Copyright Robota Softwarehouse, all rights reserved.

Then, they're just going against the law, I didn't miss anything.

But, let me ask another question. If they didn't said anything about
their program being based on gnugo and they had renamed their gnugo
binary file, How can we tell they're violating the GPL license?
Since copyrighted software doesn't have to redistribute the source
code, they can secretly violate free licenses.
In practice though there's no difference between GPL and LGPL. In
fact, GPL is worse since it "forces" proprietary software developers
to reuse secretly and impedes software with other free software
licenses developers to do the same.