[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Contact with RMS to remove the veto power

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Contact with RMS to remove the veto power
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:07:09 +0100
User-agent: KMail/1.9.5

Antenore Gatta wrote:
> (almost) Agree.

> When you think to send this? Maybe, at this stage, it's too much early,
> could be better to wait until we will have all the issues fixed... I'd like
> to avoid a reply from RMS like "Yes, but.... blah blah, blah. Before you
> must do this, blah blah blah and blah blah blah".
> Just IMHO, nothing to said against RMS, but he will take a great care to
> avoid drawback problems, and it will be a lost of time for us to fix what
> he'll ask and we will obliged to wait again another answer.
> A.G.

We have a lot of technical issues to be fixed.  But, about following the "Free 
Software philosophy" we have already removed some sections and links as RMS 
requested-commented to us.  I personally think we are ready about this point.  
The only problem, for us, is the pain of the veto power. It was my mistake. 
People do not like it, and so do not join or contribute. It exposes 
contradictions with the rest of the project proposal. Now, I agree with MJ.

On the other hand, I have got one candidate at the "French Translator" job 
offer and I will like do a job-offer-announcement as I did previously with 
the Portuguese one [1], so as to get more candidates and be able to do a good 
selection process.


When people read the job offers, some times they read too the Charter, and I 
think it is not good the first impresion they get be the one of the 

If RMS would accepted the hosting at his servers I think the project would not 
have needed to remove the veto power to success, being so a FSF controlled 
thing but which works.

Note: The project should be moved to another hosting: FSF hosts, Debian hosts 
or any other 'community hosts' or else pay for someone. The problem with the 
current hosting is the limited bandwith/throughput. It could be improved, but 
I think it is not serious follow keeping the project hosting at my home; 
there is not high availability, etc. Anyway, this point can be delayed.

Just my current personal opinion. I could be mistaken.


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]