gnuherds-app-dev

Re: PHP5 Job

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: PHP5 Job
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 22:59:45 +0200

Armen Baghumian wrote:
> Dear Davi,
>
> My name is Armen Baghumian and I'm interested to be a contributor of
> GNU Herds.
> This is my page in Ohloh http://www.ohloh.net/accounts/4572.

Welcome Armen!

> I have good knowledge of PHP, Smarty template engine, PEAR, ...
> I have experiences with these PHP frameworks.
>    1) Mojavi 1,2,3
>    2) CodeIgniter
>    3) Kohana
>    4) Agavi

As you maybe have noted at http://gnuherds.org/development#Technology
the GNU Herds project is using the Smarty templates engine.

Maybe others frameworks could be used, however we are now in a race towards
feature completeness. Feature-completeness will allow move the hosting
service to the FSF hosts and officially announce the project.  Anyway the
project is and must be always open to any comment!

> I have experiences with SVN and CVS but it's not hard to learn
> git ;)

Just some tips gotten via the usual Google's searches:

From CVS to Git
===============

 cvs checkout ... -> git-clone git+ssh://git.freedesktop.org/git/xcb
 cvs add file -> git-add file
 cvs status -> git-status -a
 cvs diff -> git-status -a -v
 cvs commit -> git-commit -a , then git-push origin
 cvs update -> git-pull

 Reference: http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2006-March/013623.html

From SVN to Git
===============

 http://git.or.cz/course/svn.html

Git
===

 http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/tutorial.html

> I do my development in GNU/Linux environment an I love vim.

IMHO, vim is an always handy tool, however for some tasks emacs can be more
useful. It is a pity that emacs has yet some bugs and miss others cool
features.  Anyhow, I use a lot more vim than emacs. Some features of kate or
kwrite are useful too.

> I understand and I know W3C standards well so my projects has valid CSS
> and XHTML.

We are trying to move the current
  "HTML 4.01 Transitional"
  "HTML 4.01 Strict"

and the current
to a

Sameer Naik and Antenore are or have being working on that task.

> I'm web developer since 5 years ago and Ohloh proves that I have 2
> years experiences with PHP but I have at least 3 years :P

IMHO, at this time, the GNU Herds project would get the best benefit from you
if you work on PHP tasks instead of the HTML ones, due to:

 * the actual blocker to move to the FSF hosts are the missing
   features, not the content presentation to the web user.

 * the project lacks PHP developers

Anyway, you can work in what you want, or even do nothing and just advice. A
good advice is sometimes more important than lot of code.

> My native language is not English. I'm Armenian and I'm living in Iran.
> So my native language is Armenian and I know Farsi as well.

My native language is Spanish. I live at Madrid, Spain.

> Ok, I guess its enough, please let me know if you are interested about
> this.

The project is very interested!

You could start with a small PHP task as for example:

  task: Add support to "deadline" date to JobOffers
        http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7412

1) First, you should subscribe to the development email list:
   We use to add always CC to such email list.

2) Secound, you should install your own development environment:
   http://savannah.nongnu.org/cookbook/?func=detailitem&item_id=155
     Reference from: http://gnuherds.org/development#Setup

After you install your development environment, we will help you to carry out
any task you choose.

You are not forced to do anything. You are free to do what you want!

Please, send an email to the development email list if you have any problem!
or just let us know if you have finished the development environment
installation successfully.

> Best Regards,
> Armen

Very best regards,