gnuherds-app-dev

Re: Skills classification -- proposal

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Skills classification -- proposal
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 01:11:25 -0500

    1) To make it easier to the user the work with the skills form, and to make
    the skill form more flexible allowing to fill skills not yet listed at the
    data base, the ComboBox skills fields (<select><option..></select>) were
    replaced by text input fields (<input type="text">). Therefore users can
    write _anything_ in such fields.

That seems like a mistake.  If users can write _anything_ then it
takes human intelligence to understand what they say.

       You asked to filter what is showed to the public (e.g. non-free
    software references).  We have to know what a skill is to be able
    to block it. A good category is needed to block or not a specific
    case.

That is basically impossible, right?  You would need to understand
their words.

You could perhaps detect that it mentions the name of a non-free
program.  For that you'd need a list of all non-free programs.  There
must be thousands of those!

    >           * Almost-Free Software
    >           * Partially-Free Software
    >           * Non-Free Software

    Do you mean to block too skills tagged as Almost-Free Software? Note that
    Debian is tagged so. You exposed that it was right fill a job offer in
which
    you look for Debian experienced administrators to do a mass installation of
    only free packages.

I agree it seems better not to block mention of Debian as a skll.

    > What does "free documentation skill" mean?

    Say a user fill as a skill as "I wrote the GNU Emacs Manual". The webapp
can
    tag such 'skill' as Free Documentation to allow it be showed to the public.

I think that is confused.  "I wrote the GNU Emacs Manual" is not a
skill, it is an accomplishment.  If you ask for "accomplishments",
people will give things like "I wrote the GNU Emacs Manual".  If you
ask for skills, they will say general things like "Writing manuals".
Or perhaps "Using MS Word".

You don't have to worry about how to tag something
that people are unlikely to give as a "skill".