gnuherds-app-dev

Re: CSS <div>s based layout

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: CSS <div>s based layout
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 00:21:36 +0100

Based on the Sameer's CSS, I have worked out a <div>s based layout.tries

It tryes to follow the GNU/FSF Web Site Guidelines [1]. No background images,
etc.

  [1] http://www.gnu.org/server/fsf-html-style-sheet.html

It works almost perfectly with:
  * FireFox 2.0
  * IE 6.0
  * Opera 9.tried
  * Konqueror 3.5.7

I tryed rounded borders using the Antenore's CSS, but combined with <div>s,
etc. raised problems, only in IE 6.0!  I have looked at several sites, and as
Sameer seems to know, the portable way to achieve rounded borders and others
eye candy things is via background images.  However the GNU/FSF Web Site
Guidelines do not advice such kind of techniques [1].

The new code defines and uses only one theme, the red one:
    Layer-0__Site_entry_point/themes/red/
Others developers could copy&paste the red one to create new ones.

Note that <content-form-table>s have not been replaced with <div>s. IMHO it is
more or less tabular data, so a table could be the right way. However such
tables are the only one which does not render well with handheld screen
dimensions :(

In general, PNG or JPEG format are probably better than GIF from a technical
standpoint, Ref.: [3][4]

  [3] http://www.gnu.org/server/fsf-html-style-sheet.html#UseofGraphics
  [4] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html

Sameer, could you send us 'key.dif' and 'user.gif' in PNG or source format?

P.S.: I have merged some strings modifications and additions exposed by
Sameer, in the menu, etc.

My next task:  Update the messages POT file.

Almost happy new year, and best regards :)
Davi