Re: [Gnumed-devel] GnuMed Advocacy

From: dguest
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GnuMed Advocacy
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 22:04:44 +1000

Karsten

In my fairly brief SWOT analysis of the gnumed project I described one of its strengths being its international roots and focus. I think Australia is too small to produce enough open source developers with knowledge or experience in the medical domain to get gnumed up. It will be better for a variety of reasons if it is an international effort and I would love to see more input from Asia and South America. Hopefully, in the not too distant future we may have funded components of the project (from Australia or elsewhere) committing to the CVS. It will be important, as you suggest, for the core team to make sure their work has international applicability or can be hived off into the locale branch. Neveretheless, I don't see this as big issue.

Australian decision support software is based on the international Cochrane collaboration so I presume that would have widespread acceptability throughout the world. N'est-ce pas?

David

Karsten Hilbert wrote:

Dear GnuMedders,

I am very excited about and supportive of the prospective
"official" support GNUmed may be getting in Australia.

At the same time i want to raise a cautionary voice on behalf
of the international GNUmed community. I would like to ask all
active developers to not make design and implementation
decisions based on Australian requirements and needs only.
This would greatly hamper GNUmed's applicability in other
countries which would be a great shame.

I am not asking you to write GNUmed-Germany for me. I am
asking you to consider things from a larger point of view and
to listen to and take seriously funny noises from Up Over and
elsewhere. This may be tough going these days as ministeries
and national organisations are wont to care less about
anything outside Oz.