Re: [Gnumed-devel] thanks re mimencode

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] thanks re mimencode
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 17:08:05 +1000

On Sat, 11 May 2002 09:28, syan tan wrote:
>   I'm not sure how ssl can be bypassed, but may be you mean if someone
> goes into the protocol and intercepts at a low level ( eg. ip packets) ,
> it could be possible to spoof client or server authentication and

You are thinking too complicated. I wasn't talking bout breaking into the
SSL connection at all. I said that it was impossible to ensure that the
middleware cannot be bypassed - a client can always connect directly to
the backend, no way to prevent this from happening in a reliable
waterproof way.

>   BTW, does anyone know if python was coded so that address space
> violations don't happen, e.g. buffer write length limits in all input
> output functions?

Correct. Memory handling is done by python, and as long as python is bug
free ;-) address space violations cannot happen no matter how bad your
code is.
Exception: you have to realize that most variables are passed "by
reference", and though you cannot violate the address space, you are prone
to overwrite data you didn't intend to overwrite

Horst