Re: [Gnumed-devel] Starting program in a particular desktop

From: Andre Joanisse
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Starting program in a particular desktop
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 21:32:51 +1000

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002 18:29, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > Can anyone give me the syntax to start a program but have it live on one
> > of the desktops I designate.
>
> Your X programm needs to respect the common option -display
> which you can use to specify the X display in the form:
>
> hostname:display.screen

That works usually, but ;-). On KDE, you need to use the kstart command, for
example:

kstart --desktop 4 --activate xterm

This would start an xterm window on desktop 4 and it would make it active.
For some help on the command, try:

kstart --help-all

Not sure what it would be for a gnome desktop, but I found this at the KDE
FAQ, so the Gnome faq would probably have the answer.

HTH,

André