[Gnumed-devel] multiple languages

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] multiple languages
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 22:10:53 +0200

I have uploaded a (hopefully) improved version of gmI18N which
provides for transparent internationalization.

If your code is being called directly or indirectly from
gnumed.py (as would be normal) you don't need to do anything
except wrap your strings in _(). Not even define _ to be
gettext.gettext (which it, in fact, isn't) !

In your module test "__main__" you'll have to either import
gmI18N manually or jump through all the hoops yourself. Or you
can just say "_ = lambda x:x" which will effectively disable
i18n. After all, you'd be writing tests.

Uh, and if there's no message catalog available it'll fall
back to not translating.

I have tried to adjust all the other modules and did a test
run of the GNUmed client. Tell me if something breaks for you.