[Gnumed-devel] Re: Hello

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Hello
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 02:09:54 +0200

Dear Gerardo,

> I thought about what you said and am throwing my hat into
> the rink with gnumed.
You are very welcome.

> Right now, coding is not my strong suit. It is my weak suit. :)
Not a problem.

> What can I do to help?

1) We need documentation. Basically, three documents are needed:

a) User Manual
 This should cover installation of server and client,
 configuring and running the client, and how to use the client
 to solve tasks. It cold be divided into two main areas: end
 user manual and on-site administrator's manual.

 This is intended to be an online help to the user. A starting
 point for this (already integrated into the default client) is
 Ian's work:

 http://mail.student.unimelb.edu.au/~ihaywood/

 It might also be helpful to work with Steven Duffy on certain
 installation issues and with David Guest on Windows problems
 (LoadAllImageHandlers() ... sorry, David, I haven't had the
 time yet to look into this).

 Some information on this resides on http://gnumed.org run by
 Tony Lembke.

b) Analysis Document
 This should cover design principles and user visions. User
 visions are mainly "what doctors want GNUmed to do how". What
 is called a "story" in eXtreme Programming. A Scenario.

c) Developers Guide
 Everything a potential new developer needs to know:
 Where to find resources, how to access our CVS, whom to talk
 to about what, style guides, directories, conventions, design
 decisions, what to read, what to install, how to set it up
 for development, a few good pointers for Python, wxPython,
 and SQL.

 A good partner here is probably Richard Terry, although any
 of the active developers can be of help.

2) If you have access to several Linux distributions, several
   versions of Windows and a Mac (we are aiming for BSD-based
   Mac's only, or are we ?) you could become a build manager.
   Basically this means monitoring the cvs for changes and
   making sure they work across all platforms. Parts of this
   can easily be automated such as downloading from cvs,
   alerting yourself if changes occurred and reporting to the
   mailing list based on a mail template.

3) Localisation. You could embark on the task to find out what
   legal, technical, and functional requirements need to be met
   for GNUmed to work and work well in your country.

The people I mentioned can be found on the mailing list.

Pick what you like :-)

Regards,