[Gnumed-devel] Re: FW: Questions for you

From: richard terry
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: FW: Questions for you
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:54:40 +1000

Bryn,

thanks for replying. I've taken the liberty of forewarding your email to the
gnumed developers list.

On Wednesday 31 July 2002 10:05 am, you wrote:
> Yes, we are investigating linking the guidelines within the clinical
> context. The 2 areas we have looked at most particularly are linking via
> conditions and via drugs.

I'm sure you are aware mims have/had a disease/drug/interaction database. I
did have a copy they sent me on a CD somewhere, but I suspect it's lost
because I never got around to use it.

> We have assigned icd10-am codes to most topics (antibitoic is
> being 100% coded as we type), but I am sure you dont think that will solve
> all our problems. The problem is the inadequacy of coding systems and time
> available to assign codes.

Any chance of more information of what you have eg database
structure/examples etc.

> For drugs, there seems little beyond generic drug name to help.

I would have thought that using the class codes would have been the way to go?

>The mcca db is compatible with the data in the guidelines, but has an
>uncertain
> future.

Sorry, what is the mcca db?

> A data model and database of the guidelines has been developed and will
> form the basis of further system development.

Again, any chance of sharing this information with us?

> As a first step, however, it is probably best to keep it simple, and link
> in via drugs or conditions and retrieve the text of the relevant guideline
> topic at a given clinical context.
>
> There will be the issue of ui and screen real estate. The guidelines have
> been written with the assumption that a reasonable amount of screen is
> being used to display. We are working on how to extract more concise
> statements as lead-ins to guideline topic (for small screen presenation),
> but they are already very concise.

Please view the attatched png files. I use/we will use a similar principal,
shown here in the png files for drug interactions. a mini-message is shown
and double clicking on this shows the expanded version.

> A working design presentation of the guidelines in a prescribing package
> is to have have a dedicated tab for TG, which is near full screen.

Note the second png which shows we already have a tab for full screen display
of the guidelines. The tab contains a html control which will dispaly the
guideline (when I upload it to the CVS)!

> the gnumed tab, have a flag/prompt to indicate that a topic is relevant to
> what is happening on screen at present (with possibly some teasing info to
> indicate what the topic is about). The full text is available on the TG
> tab.
>
> The reason a dedicated TG tab is necessary is that the initial info
> provided could lead the user on a search to anywhere in the guidelines.
> The navigation functionality that has been developed is necessary to make
> this possible.
>
> As we haven't integrated or done any usability testing we are open to
> suggestions. The problem is that the guidelines are reasonably complex and
> can't be chunked up very easily.

Sounds like you are thinking along similar lines to ourselves.

Bryn