[Gnumed-devel] Fwd: Re: FW: Questions for you

From: richard terry
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Fwd: Re: FW: Questions for you
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 17:00:05 +1000

Subject: Re: FW: Questions for you
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:18:44 +1000 (EST)
From: Bryn Lewis <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

 --- richard terry <address@hidden> wrote: > Bryn,

> thanks for replying. I've taken the liberty of forewarding your email to
> the gnumed developers list.

ok

> On Wednesday 31 July 2002 10:05 am, you wrote:
> > Yes, we are investigating linking the guidelines within the clinical
> > context. The 2 areas we have looked at most particularly are linking via
> > conditions and via drugs.
>
> I'm sure you are aware mims have/had a disease/drug/interaction database. I
> did have a copy they sent me on a CD somewhere, but I suspect it's lost
> because I never got around to use it.

Yes. None of the schemes seem to cater for the whole set of conditions.
 Pragmatically, we may have to go with whatever seems to be closest to best.
 Opinions on what would be a good set of condition codes are welcome,
 however, we would still ned to assign them to topics.

> > We have assigned icd10-am codes to most topics (antibitoic is
> > being 100% coded as we type), but I am sure you dont think that will
> > solve all our problems. The problem is the inadequacy of coding systems
> > and time available to assign codes.
>
> Any chance of more information of what you have eg database
> structure/examples etc.

I will send you further info later on.

> > For drugs, there seems little beyond generic drug name to help.
>
> I would have thought that using the class codes would have been the way to
> go?
>
> >The mcca db is compatible with the data in the guidelines, but has an
> >uncertain
> > future.
>
> Sorry, what is the mcca db?

medicines coding council of Australia, the drug database for the bmms.

> > A data model and database of the guidelines has been developed and will
> > form the basis of further system development.
>
> Again, any chance of sharing this information with us?
>
> > As a first step, however, it is probably best to keep it simple, and link
> > in via drugs or conditions and retrieve the text of the relevant
> > guideline topic at a given clinical context.
> >
> > There will be the issue of ui and screen real estate. The guidelines have
> > been written with the assumption that a reasonable amount of screen is
> > being used to display. We are working on how to extract more concise
> > statements as lead-ins to guideline topic (for small screen presenation),
> > but they are already very concise.
>
> Please view the attatched png files. I use/we will use a similar principal,
> shown here in the png files for drug interactions. a mini-message is shown
> and double clicking on this shows the expanded version.
>
> > A working design presentation of the guidelines in a prescribing package
> > is to have have a dedicated tab for TG, which is near full screen.
>
> Note the second png which shows we already have a tab for full screen
> display of the guidelines. The tab contains a html control which will
> dispaly the guideline (when I upload it to the CVS)!

Also note that the guidelines use a toc, which can be dhtml, or a java
 applet. This will probably be an issue for a html display component
 (depending on how compliant it is).

> > the gnumed tab, have a flag/prompt to indicate that a topic is relevant
> > to what is happening on screen at present (with possibly some teasing
> > info to indicate what the topic is about). The full text is available on
> > the TG tab.
> >
> > The reason a dedicated TG tab is necessary is that the initial info
> > provided could lead the user on a search to anywhere in the guidelines.
> > The navigation functionality that has been developed is necessary to make
> > this possible.
> >
> > As we haven't integrated or done any usability testing we are open to
> > suggestions. The problem is that the guidelines are reasonably complex
> > and can't be chunked up very easily.
>
> Sounds like you are thinking along similar lines to ourselves.
>
> Bryn
>
> >  On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Harvey Ken wrote:
> > > Hi Bryn,
> > >
> > > Could you let Terry know where we are at with the database.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Ken

http://digital.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Digital How To
- Get the best out of your PC!