Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmReferrals.py - Comments please from LOTZ OF PEOPLE

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmReferrals.py - Comments please from LOTZ OF PEOPLE
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 11:52:39 +0200

> RTF is still a good option, IMHO, because we can use Word in Windows/Mac
> and AbiWord in Linux, but it will have to be run as separate program, it
> can't be 'embedded' in GNUMed, AFAIK.
AbiWord is becoming largely scriptable, AFAIK. It also has the
HappyScript plugin which would allow us to run GNUmed
scriptlets from within AbiWord (AbiWord/GNUmed running side by
side, AbiWord controlling one GNUmed instance (started with
'--pipe') over a, well, pipe by means of 'scriptlets' - small
pieces of python controlling GNUmed from within GNUmed. Those
would be the same ones that allow gmReferrals.py to branch to
gmContacts.py and that are invoked by
$replace_this_makro_with_the_patient's_last_name$ stuff.

> Another option is to edit the letter body as plain text, which is inserted
> into an HTML letter template. (wx can print and show HTML, of course)
Actually, for (semi-)automated letters where plain text gets
stuck into a template LaTeX may be the way to go. Im am
writing all my letters and faxes with such a setup: a simple
shell script invokes a text editor, let's me select an
address, decrypts my encrypted signature bitmap, generates
Postscript, prints and faxes. This concept combined with a
wizard-style interface might make for a rather powerful rapid
letter generator.