Re: [Gnumed-devel] wxGlade

From: David Guest
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] wxGlade
Date: 04 Aug 2002 22:23:30 +1000

On Sun, 2002-08-04 at 19:38, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > > Very bug laden and dies even with accidently hitting a letter key in some
> > > of
> > > the input boxes, However....
> > Yes. I got this in the notebook tab layout widget on entering a new tab
> > name, as per the tutorial. I am running python 2.2 wxPython 2.3.2 which
> > may not be quite up to scratch. (Alberto seems to suggest 2.3.2.1 as a
> > minimum.)
> Unfortunately, it doesn't run on Python 2.1 which I still use.
>
> David, would you like to try to design a simple application
> window for the talkback ?
>
> It would have to
>
> a) instantiate a wxApp
> b) immediately open a modal dialog with:
>    1) a button "Send"
>    2) a button "Cancel"
>    3) a static text "An error occurred in GNUmed. You can send
>        a bug report from this window."
>    4) a field for the sender e-mail
>    5) a field for the target address
>    6) a text field where the user can type a comment
>
> This would be invoked if the user specifies --talkback on the
> command line.
>
> That would be really helpful and maybe a more rewarding
> learning experience ?

Sure Karsten, if I can do it then anyone can. :-)  I think widget design
is where most GPs see themselves as being involved and making a
contribution, at least initially.

I've also had a private mail from Alberto Griggio, the author of
wxGlade, which in this case I have taken the liberty of attaching,
because he is mainly after feedback and bug reports. Richard may care to
expand on the bugs he experienced and Tony could try it out on the Mac.
For those interested, the wxGlade mailing list entry point is at
http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/wxglade-general.

For the record I am on Mandrake 8.2, (2.4.18-6mdk kernel), GTK/wxPython
2.3.2.1 and I also have 2.3.2 on the system as previously mentioned so I
am not sure which I am using. Such is GTK. :-(

David

--
David Guest
GPG key ID BE79B742 @ pgp.mit.edu
David Guest <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello,
first of all thank you for having tried wxGlade and informed me about that, I
really appreciate it.

> On Sat, 2002-08-03 at 08:49, richard terry wrote:
> > Had a quick play with this  a few moments ago after downloading. Certainly
> > huge leap in gui implementation for wxPython.
> I speak from a wealth of ignorance but it seems like a cross between
> glade and wxDesigner. It is certainly worth the download.
>

> > Very bug laden and dies even with accidently hitting a letter key in some
> > of
> > the input boxes, However....
> Yes. I got this in the notebook tab layout widget on entering a new tab
> name, as per the tutorial. I am running python 2.2 wxPython 2.3.2 which
> may not be quite up to scratch. (Alberto seems to suggest 2.3.2.1 as a
> minimum.)

I want to know more about this: I know wxGlade has many bugs (I spent the last
two days fixing some of them), but I've never had experience of the ones you
are talking about, so I'd like to know the details (platform, wxPython version,
a sample session, etc): maybe 2.3.2 is not enough, but maybe there are other
reasons - for example wxGlade has never been tested on a Mac since I don't have
one

> > I'd encourage all you would be developers to download it and start playing
> > with it. You now have no excuse not to at least generate the gui framework
> > of
> > a python project and hence visually contribute your ideas to gnumed.
> >
> > The python code it generates is clear as well.
> >
> > I'll spend a couple of hours on it over the weekend and post a short
> > tutorial
> > pointing out the do's and don'ts to let you navigate it without it
> > continually falling over (e.g I found even resizing the frame it generated
> > on
> > occasions (random) made it die!

As above, I'd really appreciate if you could provide me the details about this,
as I've never had reports of such problems (actually, all the main known bugs
are listed on the README).

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

Alberto Griggio