Re: [Gnumed-devel] Just joining

From: richard terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Just joining
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 23:43:17 +1000

On Wednesday 07 August 2002 7:14 pm, Alan O'Keefe wrote:
> Hi Richard
>
> I have downloaded the anonymous CVS and am going to build the
> server database and look at the client over the weekend.
>
> What we need is a import engine with modular parser's for various
> formats, (eg. PIT, HL7, maybe XML in the future).

I suspect we will need all/combinations to work concurrently because of
different data formats from different providers?

> The first step
> would be to import report images, this is relatively, (!!), easy.

I presume you mean PIT.

> The next step is to look at the whole electronic ordering/results
> interpreting can of worms, (you might be surprised how much of a
> pain LOINC is in this area, though there isn't much out there that
> is better).

I've noted LOINC to be a pain when I did my parser - it seemed in part to have
its own illogical areas, and mapping back to a requested test was sometime
problematic.

> What we may have to do is to setup an internal ordering data set
> and provide mapping tables from that to each of the key pathology
> providers.  Is there any general pathology ordering guidelines
> defined by the College of General Practitioners that we could use
> as an internal data set ?

I don't know, one of us (you or I) could check that out. If you don't have
time, I will contact someone in the Hunter Area Pathology Service and find
out. Let me know.

I have a reasonably complete set of terms (not mapped to LOINC), originally
the HAPS request ordering set. They may have standardised on something else
since I aquired them. One of the other things from a GP perspective is that
we may not remember all the correct terms, but want to request something
generic like 'Hepatitis B post vaccination titre' as opposed to the corrrect
term.

> I know that there are several government e-health initiatives, but
> as I'm no longer "officially" in the health industry, (I'm now an
> independent consultant),

I've never seen government e-health initiatives amount to much. Perhaps I'm
too much of a cynic. Having sat on government committees and govt funded
projects I'm somewhat jaded.

> I don't necessarily have direct access to
> that stuff anymore.  Is there anyone who can give me some info on
> the current state of play in this area, both here in Australia, and
> overseas in the various interested countries.

Malcom Ireland is always a good contact regarding medical IT in Australia, he
may know, or may know who to ask. He's on this list, so fire a question to
him