Re: [Gnumed-devel] Python gettext

From: Julio Jiménez
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Python gettext
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 12:52:03 +0200

Horst Herb wrote:

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002 05:43 am, Julio Jiménez wrote:
Have any body think to use 'gettext' module?
I thinkt it's a good way to provide internationalization for GnuMed. It
make possible applications running under different languages.

We are using it already. In most modules (except the ones written by Richard)

Sorry!. I didn't see (now I have downloaded the gnumed from cvs) I think it's the right way.

you will see that there are no hardcoded strings. All strings are encapsulated in _( ... )
the function _() is a renamed gettext() to make the code more readable.

I don't think so, I believe it is because the original gettext from C is _(), for the preprocesor before compiling. The Python 'gettext' module imitate original Gnu gettext, so the _ function is for try to be same 'C'

There is a module gmI18N which takes care of localization issues

Horst