[Gnumed-devel] write access connections

From: Horst Herb
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] write access connections
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 09:29:38 +1000

I have just modified gmPG to allow for write access as discussed. The changes
are still widely uncommented.

For read-only queries, nothing has changed - everything works as before
without any changes needed.

For writeable queries, a connection has to be requested with optional
parameter "readonly" set to zero. The user name is then mangled by the
connecting function ('_' prepended).
Permissions within gnumed have to be set accordingly
(i.e. user 'jsmith' gets read-only access, but user '_jsmith' may write as
well where applicable).

This is of course done automatically by a post-installation setup script, but
for now, in order to try it out, you may just set a few permissions manually.

Read-only queries are still executed via the pooled pre-allocated connections.
For write access, a new connection is created for each connection request, and
then discarded (either manually or automatically via garbage collection)

The asynchronous notification will work via a separate thread using select()
on the backend socket; I am still working on thread safety and some testing
before I put the code in CVS.

Horst