[Gnumed-devel] i18n and icons

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] i18n and icons
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 06:21:18 +0200

Just noticed an interesting point with i18n work on the
AbiWord mailing list:

Some icons need localization, too. Simple example: An icon
with an italic "I" in it to mean "italicise". In German you'd
want an italic "K" for "kursiv".

Due to my amazement we already almost support this :-)  We
reference the wanted icon by a symbolic name - a string. Which
can (and should !) be wrapped in _(). I will go through the
files and add this where needed.

The gist of the rant: Hilmar, Gerardo, can you put a note in
the developers manual that "hardcoded dictionary key strings
that are meant to access icons need to be wrapped in _()" ?
This goes for the fallback in the plugin code itself as well
as for any other hardcoded index strings.