Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmDrugs

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmDrugs
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 11:33:59 +0200

> Second, it could be difficult to translate available drug databases to the
> hierarchic class design.
The drug databases I have seen already classify drugs
hierarchically according to the ATC tree. If I am not
mistaken, AMIS does that, too. ATC is about as good as it gets
in terms of classifying drugs short of "scientific" solutions.

> The process of adaption would probably mean
> changes of the supplied information, which in turn means that you can't
> rely any more on the fact that the drug information is the one supplied by
> the manufacturer. That bears legal dangers, IMHO.
I don't think we are in the business of providing that level
of protection. We provide the infrastructure to use drug data.
Nothing more nothing less. That's what the Open Source model
does best. The other things you mention are services to be
paid for.