Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmdrugs update

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmdrugs update
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:33:08 +1000

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002 06:21, Hilmar Berger wrote:

> 1. Right now, table *product* has one single link to *generic_drug*, which
> seems to indicate that there can only be one generic drug in one product.
> What about packages having more than one generic drug (e.g. tablet +
> cream of different substances in one package) ?

This is what the compound flag and the compound pivot table is for. A drug
product consiting of more than one active generic ingredient is a "compound
drug". It is given a name (sometimes often only a brand name available), and
the ingredients are found by running a query on the pivot table.

> 2. In AMIS, there is additional information on adjuvants contained in a
> drug, and in drugs containing more than one active substance ('generic
> drug'), there is information on the amount of each substance in the drug
> unit (e.g. 1mg Trimethoprim + 5mg Sulfamethoxazol + x mg adjuvant in one
> tablet). I consider these data a useful piece of information and would
> like to represent it in some table.

A table "adjuvants" with a many-tomany pivot table linking to drugs might make
sense then?

> 3. 'is_compound' in *generic_drug*: I feel that this is not rally
> necessary. From my point of view Cotrimoxazole is a rare exception. I see

See comment above re  meaning of "compound". Maybe unfortunate choice of
wording from my side? Any suggestions?

Horst