[Gnumed-devel] medical lab software python+wxpython+postgresql

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] medical lab software python+wxpython+postgresql
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:13:09 +0100

Hi Marius,

my brother Cc'ed your mail on your Boa-project to me. I am
very excited about what you want to do. We work on GnuMed
because a) both of our parents are doctors who need some of
the functionality in their offices and b) for our own future
practices (I am a doctor, my brother is a medical student).

My parents download medical lab results by modem from a lab
_daily_. I wrote a perl script handling the entire transfer at
night. This is remarkably reliable.

I see several possiblities for working together with our
projects:

1) integration at the database level:

GnuMed and your project use the same database tables. However,
your project will have to store a lot more information about
the tests than the average doctor needs. We would therefor
need to separate tables very cleanly. But this can be done, I
think.

2) integration at the application level:

Use the same code base for GnuMed and your project. GnuMed
offers a plugin structure where the actual GUI is defined by
what plugins get loaded. Obviously for your father's lab (or
labs in general) quite a few specific plugins will be
necessary. Those would not get loaded in a doctor's office.
OTOH, a lab would skip to load quite a few of the doctor
specific plugins. But the application framework, code for
accessing some lab equipment, database code and infrastructure
code (logging, translation, etc.) is common for both projects.

3) integration at the data transfer level

This is the MINIMUM we should aim for. After all, lab data is
only really useful if the doctor gets to see the results of
the blood samples. Thus we should really make it very easy and
very reliable to get lab request from GnuMed to your software
and lab results back from your software to GnuMed. Here your
first-hand knowledge of how a lab _really_ works is *very*
helpful.

4) integration at the driver level

Another area where we can share code is drivers for some of the
lab machines. Some smaller machines are also used in the
doctor's offices directly. Think of urine analyses, blood gas
analysis, hemoglobin, CRP, Troponin, ... Often those are
either small fluid-based spectrometers or reagant strip based
readers. It would be silly to independantly write drivers for
those machines !

What do you think ? Where can we work together ?

Best regards,

Karsten Hilbert
GnuMed i18n Coordinator