Re: [Gnumed-devel] Interactions and stuff: proposed rules database.

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Interactions and stuff: proposed rules database.
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:54:19 +1100

Ian Haywood wrote:

The problem with these features is that the drug db would become
unreasonably complex.

Not neccessarily; not if we implement a generic type of expert system engine

Furthermore, there are other rules we would add to GNUMed, such as reminders
for Pap
smears, etc, requiring their own SQL structures. It would be nice if these
clinical
knowledge items were subject to the same peer-review we will have for the drug
database.

Proposal:

A 'rules database':

A table of two text fields: a doctor's warning/suggestion
(a free (localised) string), and a boolean expression identifying the circumstances of the warning. I propose
a COBOL-ish mini-language to specify this.

I think you are on the right track with a rules database.
However, I can't see the need for an extra language: Python comes closer to natutral language and can be embedded after all. Requires no extra parsing and can make use of high level constructs such as dictionaries etc. Python's "apply", "zip" and other poerful features to process lists and dictionaries make it quite "easy" (well, as "easy as such a daunting task ever can be) to implement expert systems.

Horst