Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements (was: New developer searching for a task

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements (was: New developer searching for a task)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 22:46:44 +0100

> IMHO every measurement has a value and a certain quality, that is
> range, device/method used and so on.
Sure. We've got the following problem here: On the one hand we
do know the device/range/etc. (when sampling in-house, say,
urine analysis strips) and on the other hand we don't and we don't
even care. The latter case is when I receive results from an
outside lab. I'll happily depend on their quality control. All
I need is a way of backtracking the sample if that need
arises. For that we'll store things like patient and sample
id.

If we want to store additional data on lab results we can just
add tables like this:

create table special_lab_data (
    id serial primary key,
    id_lab_result integer references lab_result(id),
    foo text
);