Re: [Gnumed-devel] new wxPython version: 2.4 stable

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] new wxPython version: 2.4 stable
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 23:35:56 +1100

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 22:35, Horst Herb wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:05, Horst Herb wrote:
> > wxPython 2.4 has been released. It contains a significant number of
> > bugfixes.
> >
> > On Debian (Woody/unstable) it installes without a hitch using:
> > apt-get -t unstable install libwxgtk2.4-python
>
> Ahem, have to correct myself. Did *not* install correctly. Trying to work
> out why not. Most embarrassing, since not even the CVS version (wxWindows
> 2.5) I just pulled compiles any more.

The solution is:
1.) apt-get remove libwxgtk2.3
(and prior to that "apt-get remove wxpythongtk-py2.2" if it was installed)
2.) apt-get  -t unstable install libwxgtk2.4-python
(if you tried like me first and failed the install, you'll have to do
"apt-get remove libwxgtk2.4-python" first as well)

Damn. All this shouldn't really happen with the Debian packaging system. IN
fact. such thing never happened to me before.

That said, 2.4 seems to be a real improvement. Try the demo and be surprised!
The popup control is most useful for us, and wxMultiSash will allow more
elegant management of complex windows in a way that is a lot easier than our
current windo management. And, with the new EventManager class, wx event
handling becomes more alike to QT's "connect" which IMHO is easier to
understand.

And there are wxTimeCtrl, improved context help functionality, much improved
XML ressource functionality (easy to store simple user-modifiable XML user
interface definitions in the database!)

A few bugs that were bugging me with wxGrid have disappeared too. I say, lets
upgrade.

Horst