Re: [Gnumed-devel] wxPython 2.4

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] wxPython 2.4
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 04:24:35 -0500

Sorry for opening such a can of worms!

Richard is quite right: the backend is *still* way behind. gmclinical needs
finishing desperately.
(Horst, do have an updated version for this?) Otherwise, please comment on my
changes

With the middle layer, could we make it so the existing client can import the
modules directly (i.e a 'fat' client),
plus the API accessible via XML-RPC for the future thin clients (Palm, Java,
etc.)

With the plugins, a single loading mechanism would be good. However, it must
load the patient window manger first.
To 'unpack' its structure (in terms of the GUI) is unworkable. Richard has
already written far to many plugins to fit
as notebook tabs!

Nevertheless, the current setup *is* a kludge (basically Richard's client as a
window in Horst's)

I propose:
        - offload Contacts and Bookings as separate "programs" (from the user's
point of view)
        - pack the rest into Richard's framework.

This makes the UI more consistent, for both users and coders.

Ian