Re: [Gnumed-devel] proposal for dbapi base class

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] proposal for dbapi base class
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:34:11 +0100

> do i smell an object-relational-mapper here,
> or is it an object-relational-mapping ?
>
> means a generic mapper or handcrafted mappings ?
To my understanding mostly handcrafted mappings (yes I know
the disadvantages, I have read Fowler) with a bunch of
genericity built into the base object.

> in case of a mapper the unique identifier would be an
> unique-object-identifier,
> does gnumed have such a thing (global object_id_generator with method next()
No.

>> Why? If you ant the full flexibility, stick to SQL. If you want comfort, use
>> the API.
>
> if there is an api, try to stick to it.
Yes, except that if all you have is an explicit API it will
explode with semantic demands. Hence the possibility of also
directly using SQL in some places - eventually facilitated by
convenience functionality embedded in the base object (that's
the genericity referred to above).