Re: [Gnumed-devel] postgres schema

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] postgres schema
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 22:28:38 +1100

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 19:18, Ian Haywood wrote:
> > It would allow us to consistently name administrative tables (audit etc)
> > the same way, regardless of whether these tables are located in the same
> > database or distributed.
>
> Remote schemas would be very good (similar to dblink, but allows
> arbitrary queries), IMHO, this would be a more elegent solution to th e
> problems of distribution. If people agree, we could look at the postgres
> source code to see how hard this would be. (They might even accept the
> patch!)

We could actually settle for this and develop now as if this solution was
already in place. Even if it never gets implemented in postgres, it would be
rather easy to write a script using dblink for all tables belonging to schema
x but depending on tables from schema z.

Would make our distributed model so much easier and transparent.
Horst