Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: bootstrap*

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: bootstrap*
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 20:45:28 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> > I believe that we need some config GUI/console tool to
> > costumize Gnumed, anyway. IMHO it is quite impossible to do the whole
> > setup in some none-interactive installation script, given the complexity
> > of Gnumed.
> This isn't the point of bootstrap*, either, as the name
> already says. It's main purpose is to take the complexity out of
> (or at least reduce it) setting up a backend database system.
> Nothing more nothing less. No frontend installation, no user-level
> customization.
Agreed. My point was that if the backend setup needs user interaction
(which seems to be true, given the password problem and the number of
options in bootstrap...conf) than why do we want to have this script
within the postinst procedure ?
IMHO noone can expect a system like GNumed to be ready for use right after
installation.
IMHO we should separate this from installation process and create the
backend structure only after package installation has been completed
(after postinst), allowing for user interaction.

Hilmar