Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: bootstrap*

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: bootstrap*
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 15:03:32 +1100

Ian Haywood wrote:
On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 07:59:46AM +1100, Horst Herb wrote:

The first time a client is started, you have to enter backend information. The client then checks whether the backend has already been configured. If not, configuration dialog is presented.

This means the client must run first-time as user postgres (or whatever
user created the database) It may be difficult to do this (you may be
connecting to the server via ssh etc. -- all you have is shell) A simple CLI "set admin password" script would be better.
Outside of Debian, the two scripts may run together as there is less of
a prohibition on user interaction.

What I had in mind is that the GUI dialog collects all information and then starts a scripted ssh session which logs in as root, does a su postgres, and applies all changes neccessary to implement the database super user, returns, and then a regular connection is established using the new database super user.

What I forgot is that these poor Microsoft victims have no ssh by default :-( Since I was always using cygwin on any Windows machine I used for years, I forgot about this. (Still don't know how anybody could cope with Windows without cygwin - honestly, it is like trying to drive a car without wheels)

Horst