Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: bootstrap*

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: bootstrap*
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:41:41 +0100

> > The first time a client is started, you have to enter backend information.
> > The
> > client then checks whether the backend has already been configured. If not,
> > configuration dialog is presented.
> This means the client must run first-time as user postgres (or whatever
> user created the database) It may be difficult to do this (you may be
> connecting to the server via ssh etc. -- all you have is shell)
One surely would not set the admin password upon startup of
any random client. This is a misunderstanding.

> A simple CLI "set admin password" script would be better.
This is done during bootstrap* but _could_ be split out if a
compelling case is made for that.

> Outside of Debian, the two scripts may run together as there is less of
> a prohibition on user interaction.
IMHO this is a prejudice. A well-configured SuSE does just as
much privilege separation as any Debian.

> Then, the client, on first run, takes this password to log on, and
> can present pretty dialogues for entering in users and other basic
> config.
IMHO setting up users is not what we would do first thing on
client startup. Client startup is client startup is client
startup. *Client configuration* can be done then, of course.

There may, however, be a plugins for setting up users which
would ask for the pertinent admin password.