Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmDemographics

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmDemographics
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 05:35:36 -0500

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 11:17:17AM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> If I am reading the code correctly gmDemographics is plugged
> into the Patient Window Manager as a WholeScreen() plugin.
Correct.

> Is there a particular reason why it is not directly used as a
> WholePage plugin in the main notebook ?
 Largely historical (pretty sad for a project that hasn't reached
alpha yet ;-)

GNUmed is inspired by two clients: Richard's as a notebook
page inside Horst's. gmDemographics was written by Richard, so there it
is. There is some rationale, as Richard's widgets largely relate to a
patient: allergies, scripts, recalls, etc. whereas Horst's don't: Python
shell, SQL shell, etc.

BYW, By this logic, your document viewer should go inside the Patient
Window (if you've done it differently, it doesn't matter, the changeover
is easy)

Confusion came when Horst started writing patient-related widgets
9recalls, patient search), leading to a double-up of interfaces.

"Patient search" probably should be a separate tab, as it doesn not
relate to *a* patient. The advantage of this  is multiple instances of
Richard's interface to reflect multiple open 'patients' (we need to
rethink the messaging for this though) Then PatientWindowManager can
become the elusive "patient object".

Ian