Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: I've sort of got a debian install going

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: I've sort of got a debian install going
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:44:34 +0100

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:59 pm, Andreas Tille wrote:
> To install Debian from Knoppix it not really the best idea.  It is
> possible to do so but it is not really the main purpose of Knoppix.
> I'd suggest to get a real Debian ISO and install this.

And why not? Debian from scratch is a bugger to install, keeps you busy for
days. With Knoppix, it's done in minutes, The hardware autodetection is
superb, best I have ever seen.
I would recommend to install from EAZD's Knoppix based "KDE 3.1 backport"
which is a Knoppix debulked (only ~400 MB on CD), mostly backported to
Woody/stable. You boot from CD, access the web to download the newest
knx-hdinstall, and in minutes you are done with a shining lean & mean Debian
system (Woody/Sid chimera, but in the nicest and most functional way)

Horst