[Gnumed-devel] Re: I've sort of got a debian install going

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: I've sort of got a debian install going
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:25:15 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Horst Herb wrote:

> And why not? Debian from scratch is a bugger to install, keeps you busy for
> days. With Knoppix, it's done in minutes, The hardware autodetection is
> superb, best I have ever seen.
This is right.

> I would recommend to install from EAZD's Knoppix based "KDE 3.1 backport"
> which is a Knoppix debulked (only ~400 MB on CD), mostly backported to
> Woody/stable. You boot from CD, access the web to download the newest
> knx-hdinstall, and in minutes you are done with a shining lean & mean Debian
> system (Woody/Sid chimera, but in the nicest and most functional way)
I have never testet this way and it would be great if it would work
this way.  I was told that an install from Knoppix is only for
experienced users and not recommended.  If it works this way and does
not cause any problem I have only one remark:

   If you have a mixed system from Woody (=stable) and Sid (=unstable)
   you gain the reliabilty from unstable.  This is not bad by default
   but you *should* expect problems.  I'm not really sure whether people
   who are not able to install Debian from official CDs are able to
   work around all problems who might be caused using the unstable tree.

Kind regards

       Andreas.