Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed config editor

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed config editor
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 05:21:16 -0500

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 11:18:46PM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > See gmclient_config.sql in CVS. These tables store metadata (config
> > type, name, description) which can be used to form config widgets on the
> > fly. It nees more work (and integrating which Karsten's config tables
> > of course)
> However, I do ack that one looses some possibilities when
> storing, say, font information in a generic string rather than
> in a cfg_font_info table.
>
> If anyone can think of a sensible, tasteful way of how to marry
> the get()/set() genericity of gmCfg.py with the data type
> specifity of gmclient_config.sql I'd be most happy.

I agree, it is cleaner to store everything as a string on one table.
All we need is a description and a type (only 4 types: number, string,
colour and font) on the table.

These parameters could be on the gmCfg.set () function (optional
parameters, the default type is string, so it doesn't break existing
code).