Re: [Gnumed-devel] hibernate

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] hibernate
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:04:16 +1100

sjtan wrote:
http://hibernate.bluemars.net/1.html

I wonder if someone has thought out something like this for python.

Well, I actually think the scope of gmPgObject goes way beyond hibernate (if it ever gets finished - tiol now I seem to be the only one working on it). With Hibernate, you have to manually map object properties to table columns, don't you? Like PyORM? With gmPgObject, the module parses the database metadata and creates objects and their properties on the fly. Still needs a lot of work to implement the many-to-many relationships, and I haven't tested yet nested foreign key relationships (but should work in principle already).

BTW, how do people feel about java prototypes?

Nothing wrong with delivering prototypes in any language mot developers can read (Java is probably familiar enough to most of us), but I would prefer Python since it would waste less time if the prototype finds acceptance.

That said, with the newer "modular service" architecture, implementing individual modules in Java should be viable.

Horst