[Gnumed-devel] Gnumed with Debian sid

From: Robert William Hutton
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed with Debian sid
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 15:06:08 +1000

I've just got gnumed up and running with Debian sid.

Thanks are due partially to the User Docs, and partially to Michael Bonert's HOWTO for Mandrake 9.1.

The user docs have a section specifically for Debain, but they involved using .tar.gz's for some of the components. I intentially set out to only use .debs from the main archive.

I installed the following packages:

python-egenix-mx-base-dev
libwxgtk2.3-python
libwxgtk2.3
postgresql
postgresql-client
python-pgsql
python2.2-dev
python2.2-egenix-mxdatetime
python2.2-egenix-mxtools
python2.2

and then frigged around for ages trying to bootstrap. I was confused wrt what to put for the passwords for postgres and gm-dbowner during the bootstrap. I'm still not sure, but after going through a few times, and doing 'DROP USER "gm-dbowner"' a few times, as well as some cvs updates, I got everything running. I ran the bootsrapping process as the user postgres (su ; su postgres), and used blank passwords for both postgres and gm-dbowner.

Oh yes, and I had to make the changes to /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf that were outlined in the Mandrake HOWTO.

Should I write up a HOWTO for Debian similar to the Michael's Mandrake one?

Oh, yes. A suggestion: Write up a README file and put it in the root of the Gnumed CVS. It should have the absolute basic information for people who are complete n00bs to the project. Stuff like:

- What GnuMed is for.
- Where the user docs are.
- Where the developer docs are.
- The urls of the project.
- Licensing info and location of the GPL.txt file in CVS.
- Stuff I've forgotten.

It took me ages just scrabbling around trying to find the most basic information, and I think this'd help.

I volunteer to write one up if people thing it's a good idea.

Cheers,

Rob.

--
Robert Hutton,