Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed with Debian sid

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed with Debian sid
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 12:51:54 +0200

Rob,

> The user docs have a section specifically for Debain, but they involved
> using .tar.gz's for some of the components.  I intentially set out to
> only use .debs from the main archive.
>
> I installed the following packages:
[...]

Would you like to amend/update the docs ? That would be
just great !

> and then frigged around for ages trying to bootstrap.
Sorry to hear that !

> I was confused wrt what to put for the passwords for postgres
> and gm-dbowner during the bootstrap.

- "postgres" as the one initial user in a PostgreSQL
  installation usually does not need a password on the local
  machine, it is also usually not able to access the server
  from remote, this is beyond our immediate control

- "gm-dbowner" is GnuMed's version of "postgres" for it's own
  uses, give it any password you like, or re-use the password
  you used for it in earlier runs of bootstrap* since the user
  "gm-dbowner" will have been created with that password

Please suggest improvements as to where I/we could make the
docs or the process better.

> I'm still not sure, but after going through a few times, and
> doing 'DROP USER "gm-dbowner"' a few times, as well as some cvs updates,
> I got everything running.  I ran the bootsrapping process as the user
> postgres (su ; su postgres), and used blank passwords for both postgres
> and gm-dbowner.
Should work. Just remember that you used a blank password for
gm-dbowner for the next boostrap* run :-)

> Oh yes, and I had to make the changes to /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf
> that were outlined in the Mandrake HOWTO.
They are quite generic.

> Should I write up a HOWTO for Debian similar to the Michael's Mandrake one?
Yes, please ! Thank you.  Andreas will particularly like
that. :-)

> Oh, yes.  A suggestion:  Write up a README file and put it in the root
> of the Gnumed CVS.  It should have the absolute basic information for
> people who are complete n00bs to the project.  Stuff like:
>
> - What GnuMed is for.
> - Where the user docs are.
> - Where the developer docs are.
> - The urls of the project.
> - Licensing info and location of the GPL.txt file in CVS.
> - Stuff I've forgotten.
>
> I volunteer to write one up if people thing it's a good idea.
Your offer is greatly appreciated. By all means, do so if you
find the time !

Thanks,