Re: [Gnumed-devel] recording allergy details

From: richard terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] recording allergy details
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 07:41:21 +1000

Karsten,

Could I make a suggestion that perhaps you are working back to front here. We
Really need to start on a clinical section. However (see note below) as we
have no drug database, all you really need to display in this window,
remembering a person can have multiple allergies, is the class name or if
null, the substance eg eggs

Perhaps prior to recalling the data should be starting from the Allergy
section and doing the data entry, defining what we need there, saving it back
to the database and recalling it. However once again NO DRUG DATABASE means
the whole thing falls over.

Remember that much of the internals of allergy handling is done by the program
tansparently to the user. Most of the time we will be using a class code
clinked to the drug database, occasional linking to  drug/disease database,
and occasionally in vaccination section eg egg allergy.

To go over your fields and relate these to the current input allergy wigit:

Wigit Date = date noted (the program obviously records date recorded)

Wigit Search=type in here e.g trade name of drug. (Currently needs a beter
name? Brand??I don't really know what to suggest)

This internally then brings in the generic name(s) (really important as many
allergies even within a class can be generic specific) and the drug class,
class codes etc

 Aternatively you could search on generic (and the field above Search?name
Brand etc) may then be null) but this is searched from the database and the
user should not be allowed to enter any permanant free text here

Wigit Class is automatically put in by the system. I don't think users should
be allowed to edit this - it is visually important and educational

The Allergy/Sensitivity/Definate radio buttons/check boxes are already there

On this basis I'd make these comments.

For Display on the top bar you really only need the sustance eg

Penicilins,macrolides,eggs!

When I get to work I'll mail you my allergy table which records its data from
my drug source - MIMS, and put in a couple of allergies one with multiple
susbstances to show what the screen looks like.

Richard