Re: [Gnumed-devel] Fwd: RE: Re data for gnumed

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Fwd: RE: Re data for gnumed
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:39:58 +0200

Richard,

thanks for your effort. This is excellent news. It is the best
short-term option accompanying the hope for success of
drugref.org.

We might want to fake a second drug from the Zantac data such
as to be able to return a list on certain operations (makes
for better testing).

> 1. That MIMS is a subscription service. We do not receive any revenue from
> advertising for our electronic database therefore we need to sell it to
> enable its maintenance.
Sure. This is understandable.

> 2. There is some concern about the presentation of the data in an open
> source environment. With subscribers free to use the data within their
> version of the application there is potential for it to be integrated
> incorrectly and possibly cause errors in prescription writing.
Unlikely to happen much more than in a conventional closed
source system. The prescriber is responsible for the script in
any case.

> MIMS is not
> willing to take the liability for the implementation of the data.
They won't have to, obviously.

> I would like to see Gnumed consider using the MIMS FastTrack database. The
> API exposes a server object that communicates with the FastTrack Database.
Where can I find the API definition ? Is it remotely
accessible ? We would want to abstract away on top of that to
make disparate drug sources appear alike to the GnuMed code.