Re: [Gnumed-devel] a writeup on EMR structure

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] a writeup on EMR structure
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 18:09:16 +1000

On Mon, 5 May 2003 01:45:34 +0200
Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> Clinical narrative
> ------------------
> Due to the fact that clinical items are stored in several different
> specific and non-specific tables it is difficult to do a full-text
> search across the medical record of a patient. For this reason all
> clinical narrative is aggregated in the clin_narrative table and
> other tables link to its rows. Views may be provided to automatically
> resolve those foreign keys where appropriate.

Can I propose that clin_narrative be the ancestor table of the other
tables such as script, allergy, instead of linking to it. A search on
clin_narrative allows us to access all free string history notes,
but avoids the overhead of linking (and the danger of mis-linking, as
clin_narrative has its its own link to id_patient)

Ian