Re: [Gnumed-devel] audit trail question

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] audit trail question
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 10:38:59 +0200

Horst,

> Strategy:
I understand how to do it in general. But to *actually do it*
one must hash out the details. Which I am attempting to do.

> 1.) Any table that needs auditing has to inherit from audit_<servicename>
Sure, that's on display in the current schema. It's exact
purpose/application, however, remains obscure (to me) as
there's no writeup anywhere that I can find. I am even unsure
as to exactly *why* audited tables have to inherit from
audit_*.

> 2.) A python script I already wrote automatically generates audit tables
> and trigger functions that take care of record updates and deletions
I am unable to find said script.

> 3.) Only modification needed is the following:
> - modifications in medical records should be a rare exception other than
> within a certain (arbitrary) initial timeframe (2-24 hours). During this
> time records may remain "uncomitted", that is triggers would not be
> fired on row update or deletion
> Hence, the audit trail generation script needs to be extended a bit to
> take care of this "grace period" for unaudited editing which is neccessary.
This can be added after the fact. Hard auditing would go
first.

Your answer seems to indicate that either 1) full row or 2)
changed columns has been decided upon ruling out a logging
backware/gateware. Fine with me.