[Gnumed-devel] Re: [GPCG] Gnumed/OSCAR Workshop

From: Michael Bonert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: [GPCG] Gnumed/OSCAR Workshop
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 15:14:58 -0400 (EDT)

OSCAR Workshop:
I'll probably be going to the opening day... will know for sure
in about a week.  I've touched base with an OSCAR developer...
he asked if I was going to come.

>Besides I am a bit afraid of catching a nasty little infection
>flying into Toronto.
I think a look at the WHO's data
(http://www.who.int/csr/sarsepicurve/epiindex/en/index6.html)
might be informative.  The outbreak is all but over (--the incubation
period is approximately ten days).

IMHO you're looking at something that was totally overblown by the
media.  I live in Toronto and can tell you that people on the street
aren't walking around with masks on.  SARS isn't in the community...
and it never got loose in the community--all the cases in Canada have
been tracked back to the index cases.

What about the WHO's travel warning?
1) It was rescinded.
2) I think it was irresponsible and did bear any relation to the facts;
it was issued at a point when there had not been a single transmission
in the community for approximately two weeks and the number of active
cases was already in decline.

$1000/day... $2000/day... that IMHO isn't right and a reason not
to go--SARS isn't.

>On top of this there is the airfares and accommodation.
I could help-out with the accommodation.  Get in touch with me
if you're thinking about going.

Michael