Re: [Gnumed-devel] auditing and the multiple-update problem

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] auditing and the multiple-update problem
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 11:02:29 +1000

On Sun, 18 May 2003 06:52, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> >> I believe we have excluded the multiple update problem from
> >
> > What exactly do you mean by multiple update problem ?
>
> concurrent updates to the the same row

We could always write-lock affected rows whenever somebody requests a
writeable connection;
For the vast, vast majority of already existing records, they will be read and
displayed via a read-only connection.
Now, if the user starts editing such a record, the widget notifies the backend
and requests a writeable connection for the affected rows. The backend fires
a notification and subscribing clients will then notify affected widgets,
whcih in turn change subtly their background colour to indicate that somebody
is modifying the content right now.

This s not too much of a hassle, since it should happen only very, very rarely
anyway. It is the nature of health records that records are added, but rarely
(if ever) modified.

Horst