Re: [Gnumed-devel] medibase

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] medibase
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 22:33:01 +1000

sjtan wrote:

Input Output seems to be clearly separated ? a good idea ?

I think not - from a users perspective. A lot easier to implement, and maybe the way to go until we have a good and stable rioch text widget - but ultimately most users expect nowadays to edit content wherever it is presented whenever they feel like.

To input, the large buttons have to be pressed, but looks like the author really likes clear partitioning : each button is a major use case : for instance,

Yes, it is optically a very clean user interface. But a PITA that many items cannot be accessed via key shortcuts

I wasn't able to try out the prescribing wizard, because the subset commercial drug database was corrupted ( according to error message).

Drug database works fine here, only the import of prescription information from MDW had soe quirks. Prescription is cumbersome, too many mouse clicks needed, key navigation cumbersome, and too many dialogs popping up. IMHO the main drawback of that user interface implementation.

Can't actually remember how one re-edits items, eg. letters,
immunizations, will need to go back.

Haven't figured that out either yet. Not very intuitive in that aspect, I must say. Did not have such problems with Mims script, Locum, Genie or Medtech to figure things out.

I was wondering if Horst got Interbase to work from a unix server, and
the medibase client to work in Wine , and his impressions?

Have tried it all day today - but only on Windows at work. Will try Linux this weekend. The install wizard does not allow to set an Interbase server address, wonder how they would do networked installations for the computer dummy.

My impression is that the backend tables aren't too complicated, and
there is no object model.

The table schemas are dead simple, almost no normalization. That's probably a reason why it is so fast. I wonder whether we should not pseudo-denormalize a few tables in gnumed for performance and simplicities sake (keeping both foreign key AND redundant referenced information in a table, plus a trigger that checks that information matches foreign keys)

I'm not sure if the application was that hard to make: Delphi is
popular  because one can knock up a database GUI frontends really
quickly without much coding, and delphi is integrated with interbase
and , the professional version even comes with an express InstallShield

You can do that too if you use either C++ or Python and the the newest Gideon IDE (KDevelop 3.0 alpha): QT has powerful database aware widgets and database abstractions just as Kylix/Delphi. We went for wxWindows to be free on all platforms and accepted that it will be harder to develop, but to achieve the benefits Delphi or VB have one does not need to go the whole stony path of proprietary software: QT will be halfways here and there.

packager. The 3rd party drug database was developed by Mims: not sure if
it is just a module with a DDE like interface ( DDE is like RPC [remote
procedure call] to unix systems, I gather, last time I looked in 1995 !

Nope - a quick look suggested MIMS is actually imported into Interbase tables and directly accessed from the client.

 Maybe not quite, RPC can be accessed from one machine to another,
whereas DDE is mainly inter-process procedure calling within the same
machine. )

The MS equivalent would be DCOM, not DDE. DDE is dprecated anyway.

I was thinking about how he might have managed to create exporting of patient clinical information from MD, the major gp clinical app in Aust.

Nothing difficult about that. The only difficulty is matching prescription information to any other drug database than AZ-DEX.

ID, and to return various components of the medical record by patient
id. This could be combined with the fact that MD allows exporting of
demographic details, which might contain the patient id

MD uses either plain DBF files - which you always can access as you like, or FlexFile3 formatted memo files, which are a bit harder to crack - however, on request they provide you with an utility which exports memo data (progress notes) into plain text standard memo files which again are trivial to handle.

The not-so-trivial issue is making any sense of the un-normalized data in a highly normalized system.

looking at the prices, medibase seems quite low cost, and might be aimed
at the small practice looking to comply with Aust Practice incentive
funding , whereas profile which costs several grand and ten times more,
might be suited to the corporatized gp  BTW has anyone done a
non-advocate review of Profile?

I will do one as soon as I have tried it thoroughly, which will take a few weeks. Currently, I am using it for every 5th patient live during consultation (well, started doing it today) and after the consulattion retyping / cuttingand pasting the information into MDW to achieve persistence of my records.

Horst