Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmEditArea wholesale slaughter

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmEditArea wholesale slaughter
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 11:58:33 +0200

Sian,

> What's the plan with gmEditArea , it seems some of the Use cases have
> been commented out.
My plan is to convert all the old code to the new gmEditArea
framework. I left the commented out code in there for
reference since I am not the GUI guy. Richard will have to (and
has already) look over the result and point out the design
flaws that crept in.

> Are they going to be re-implemented differently,
Same appearance, cleaner (I hope) i.e. the newer code.

> or will development still continue on these areas i.e. the widget fields
> will remain the same?
> Is it ok to continue developing with these widgets ( i.e. can I
> uncomment them) ?
You certainly have a point in that it is tedious to attach
handlers to the fields manually although that's a well and
tried technique. I am open to implementations here and am still
thinking on how to make life easier. Part of preparing for
that is why I collect the text boxes in a per-EditArea
dictionary. I do not favour individual widgets being connected
to backend columns. IMHO widgets should talk to business objects
which in turn talk to the persistence mechanism. Whether a
business object waits for a signal from the widget before it
commits data or whether it regularly commits or whether it
decides for itself to commit at the right times is up to the
business meaning of the object in question.